Thursday 2 March 2017

Digpak Process




Original Digipak Template
I downloaded a standard digipak template and imported it into Adobe Illustrator.


Digipak With Background
I then created a square using the Rectangle Tool and filled it in with the pink colour I wanted by using a Digital Colour Meter and adjusting the colours on the RGB scale.


Album Title and Band name (Front Panel)
I went on to dafont.com and found two fonts that I felt fit the theme of my digipak. The album title 'Blush' is in a bold font that stands out and compliments the pink background. It could be classified as  an American style stencil font as 60's America was an inspiration for the design. The band name 'Moose Blood' is in the same vein, I used a light blue in contrasting gentle, handwritten font that reflects a font that the band used to use on their merchandise.

Track List (Reverse Panel)
On the reverse panel I have the track list in black and in the same font as the band name down the centre of the panel. I did this using the Type Tool, and the Fill Tool to colour the text.

Band Logo Added (Front Panel)
Using the Line Tool I traced the band logo for the straight lines. However, I had to use the Ellipse Tool to do the teardrop shape. From there, I edited an image of a live performance of the band on Adobe Photoshop and imported it to Adobe Illustrator. I used the hollow logo to use as a stencil to cut out from the image and leave me with a filled in logo using my image.

Band Logo Added (Reverse Panel)
I simply copy and pasted my previously created outline of my logo onto the reverse panel and adjusted the scale.

Licensing Information and Barcode Added (Reverse Panel)
I found a .png image of Moose Blood's record label 'Hopeless Records' and imported it into Adobe Illustrator and using conventions I had researched I placed it on the left of the licensing information (that I also based upon research I had done of other licensing information). Finally, I found a font that creates barcodes with text and used a band themed barcode.

Spine of Digipak
I created another rectangle using the Rectangle Tool and used the Fill Tool to make it black. From here I used the Type Tool to create text and adjusted the text's RGB scale to be the same blue as the blue in the band name on the front panel. I placed the text to be able to read when the album is face up as I had read that this was the true way to place text on a spine.

Inside Panels of Digipak

I researched all the lyrics of the songs on the album and wrote them out in the another font that I found on dafont.com that fit the gentle theme of the digipak.

Full Basic Digipak

Full Digipak Without Inside Panel Details

During filming I took a still image of a shot that I had just finished shooting. I then took this image and edited it on Adobe Photoshop to make it black and white and using the colour guide I made sure that the black was absolute black and that the white was absolute white. I then imported the image from Photoshop and on to Adobe Illustrator to take the place of the black background I had previously.
Complete Inside Digipak

I then brought the text layer forward so it was on top of the image.
Complete Full Digipak

No comments:

Post a Comment